Building a green home? Looking to conserve energy as Earth Day rounds the bend? Either way, there are choices you can make when building and maintaining a new roof that can significantly affect your home’s energy output for the long term.
First, consider your roofing material choices.
1. Recycled material content: Shop for shingles that are made with post-consumer content such as plastic, rubber or wood fiber.
2. Longevity: How long will your roof last? Metal roofs last up to 50 years, cedar shake roofs range from 30-50 years, while composition roofs can last 12-15 .
3. Reusability: Metal roofs, once disassembled, are completely recyclable. cedar shakes can also be recycled. Depending on your choice of composition shingles, they can be recycled to a degree.
Read more about the advantages of each roof on our From the Rooftop Blog.
4. Solar Panels: A big investment that creates your own energy, solar panels can be easily affixed to standing seam metal roofs.
5. Roof Color: Choose white or light-colored roofs to reduce heat gain.
Contact us to find out more ways to conserve and manage energy via your roof. Speak directly to a roofing specialist at Metropolitan Roofing.