1. The best way to prevent moss growth on your roof is to start with algae resistant shingles, which contain 10% copper granules. Copper prevents algal growth.
2. Place copper or zinc flashing along each side of the roof, just below the ridge cap – 2-4” of metal should be visible on the roof. Water must be able to run over the strip in order to create an alkaline environment, which kills the moss.
3. Maintain your roof by keeping leaves and other debris from accumulating on your roof and gutters. Moss proliferates in damp, wet environments.
4. Maintain the area around your roof for the same reason. Keep tree limbs clear of your roof, so the roof gets plenty of sunlight and air circulation.
5. Apply moss-prevention solutions to your shingles before moss gets a chance to set up shop. Use prior to the wet winter months and again, in early spring.
If you want to start fresh and it's time for a new roof, schedule a consultation with our sales team.